Sunday, May 30, 2010
So I had a version of this soup (based on a traditional soup in Argentina) at the Queensway Carleton Hospital Gala last night at the Casino de Lac Leamy.
Since I couldn't find pumpkin or chorizo and was too lazy to drive out to La Bottega or Nicastro's for pancetta, I modified it slightly with ingredients that I was able to find at my local Farm Boy.
I think it rivals the one that Chef Tim Wasylko made last night...just saying. And my husband and kids love it...and in the end that's all that matters.
3 Farm Boy Portuguese sausages [brown them first and then dice them up]
6 strips of bacon [diced up]
1 acorn squash - diced
2 medium turnips - diced
2 small sweet potatoes - diced
1 small cooking onion - diced
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 1/2 packages of Campbell's low sodium beef broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels
salt to taste
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp red hot pepper flakes
1 cup of white wine
1 tbsp finely chopped basil
1 cup of water
juice of one freshly squeezed lemon
juice of one freshly squeezed lime
In a large stock pot on medium heat ...
1. cook diced onion till softened
2. add 3 cloves of minced garlic
3. add diced bacon till cooked
4. add diced sausages
5. add diced squash, turnips, sweet potatoes and frozen corn kernels (cook without adding liquid for about 3-4 min)
5. add paprika, basil and red hot pepper flakes
6. add all the Campbell's beef broth, followed by the 1 cup of water , 1 cup of wine and juice from lemon and lime
Simmer on low heat for 90 min [taste and season with salt to your liking]
Garnish with freshly chopped Cilantro.
Preparation Time: 2 hours 30 minutes